Office of the Designated officer cum Sub divisional officer, Simdega
(Food safety branch)
Food safety administration of Simdega comes under the department of health, medical education and family welfare, Govt. of Jharkhand. The food safety branch works under the umbrella of Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI), which was established in the year 2008 for the proper monitoring of food hygiene and quality in India. It was functional from 2011 and ever since has been responsible for managing food safety in the country. The functions performed by FSSAI are setting rules and guidelines, granting license, test the standard of food, regular audits, spreading food safety awareness, maintain records and data and keeping the government updated.
To manage the food safety ecosystem at district level, food safety officer, Simdega reports to the designated officer cum sub divisional officer, Simdega. The sub divisional officer scrutinized the failed samples report and forward the report related to adjudicating officer cum additional collector, Simdega for adjudication. Under Food Safety and Standard Authority of India, the food safety branch, Simdega, performs various duties such as collection of food samples, adjudication of failed samples, licensing and registration, raids and inspection, hygiene rating and creating awareness regarding food safety. Under food safety and standards acts 2006, if FBOs conducts the business without having license he or she may be imprisoned for 6 months and may get fine upto Rs. 1 Lakh. Moreover, if FBOs sells the substandard food items, in this case fine may be imposed upto 5 lakhs, in case of misbranded food items, fine may be 3 lakhs. In extreme condition, if the food items are found to be unsafe, then FBOs may get 6 months to life imprisonment. FSSAI, License is mandatory to operate the food business.
- In the year 2019-20 the total 27 food samples were collected form the district sent for analysis in the state food testing laboratory, Namkum, Ranchi, out of which 6 samples were unsafe, 3 samples were substandard and 2 samples misbranded. The total 5 cases have been disposed by Adjudicating officer cum additional collector, Simdega and rupees 68,000/- fine was imposed to the defaulted food business operator and 6 cases is filed in the civil court of Simdega.
- In 2020-21, 6 food samples failed the FSSAI standards out of which 1 sample was unsafe, 3 samples were misbranded, 1 sample was and 1 sample was substandard and misbranded.
- The total 87 food business operator received FoSTac training and at present 807 food business operator has FSSAI registration and 75 food business operator has FSSAI license.
- Recently hygiene rating was done by FSSAI approved Azad Agro Enterprises, Indore in various hotels, restaurants, bakery unit, catering unit and sweets shops of the district and 1 Restaurant received 5 star, 1 bakery unit received 4 star and 1 bakery unit, 1 caterer, 3 sweet shops cum hotel received 3 star.
- During raid and inspection in the year 2020-21, designated officer cum sub divisional officer, Simdega imposed and collected rupees 92,500/- and in the year 2021-22 (till now) sub divisional officer, Simdega imposed and collected rupees 3,06,000/- for violation of food safety and standard act, 2006.